“Reinvention” is a euphemism for a much blunter word that scares many of us. That word is “Change.”
It’s easy to hate change. We cringe, gulp, deny and fight it every step of the way. Rather than accept it as the only true constant in life, we perceive it as foreign and unsettling. “Change” has a bad reputation.
Let’s try to break free of this mind-set. Let’s embrace the word “change” and its positive cousin, “reinvention” by looking at change through different eyes:
1. “Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.” Frank Herbert – Change wakes us up and makes us re-evaluate our priorities and choices.
2. “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi – Change isn’t only something that happens to us, we can and must be proactive if we want to make change for the better in the world.
3. “If you don’t like something change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” Maya Angelou – If you are enduring difficulties, you always have a choice as to how you approach your situation.
4. “Change your life today. Don’t gamble on the future, act now, without delay.” Simone de Beauvoir – So many of us put off making change out of fear of the unknown. The bottom line is all we have is today. If you want to make a change, do it now.
5. “Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next.” Gilda Radner – Gilda faced terminal cancer and came to embrace life as a “delicious ambiguity.” Her ability to face change and all the fear that it brings will always inspire me.
6. “If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve.” Lao Tzu – We fear change because of the pain it can cause. Think of what you could achieve if you relinquished that fear through acceptance.
7. “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” Harriet Tubman – Amen!
Survival > Existence,
The Rhythm of Living and Embracing Change
Casual Friday – The Flow of Life
Six Truths I’ve Learned About Resilience
Six Things You Need to Find Your Divine, Female Creative Power of Reinvention